zIIP-Enable CICS Integration/Web Services Workloads
HostBridge for zIIP
HostBridge for zIIP is HostBridge running on the IBM System z Integrated Information Processor (zIIP). Organizations choosing HostBridge for zIIP gain the benefits and advantages of the zIIP specialty engine specifically for their CICS- and other mainframe-based integration workloads, whether those workloads are for application, web enablement, service-oriented architecture, or cloud integration.
The HostBridge Base Product and the HostBridge Process Automation Engine are 100% zIIP-eligible, and all scripts/Web services written using HostBridge are 100% zIIP-eligible.
HostBridge for zIIP Architecture
HostBridge for zIIP is HostBridge – the same integration software, the same code base, the same functionality – with the addition of specific technologies that allow HostBridge to run according to zIIP-eligibility rules set by IBM.
HostBridge for zIIP utilizes a division of labor that allows it to run “under,” “inside,” and “outside” CICS:
- Outside of CICS, HostBridge components run in a Private Address Space under System z (represented by the right pentagon in the diagram)
- Under CICS, a set of HostBridge components carry out limited functions, e.g., initializing and terminating service requests and executing EXEC CICS commands (represented by the small pentagon at the left)
- Inside CICS, the bulk of HostBridge runs in an Enclave SRB, in accordance with zIIP rules; it is “inside” the CICS address space but not “under” a CICS-managed TCB (the large pentagon in the center).
Many IT professionals have been of the mindset that anything CICS-related could not run on the zIIP. HostBridge proves this to be wrong.
zIIP-Enabling CICS Integration/Service-Oriented Architecture Workloads
The benefits of shifting workloads from general purpose processors (GPs)
to the zIIP specialty engine are significant:
- Reduced processing costs for workloads that run on the zIIP
- Lower mainframe TCO
- Improved performance depending on GP capacity (zIIPs generally run faster than GPs, and GPs that are maxed out perform better when capacity is freed up).
HostBridge for zIIP brings these same benefits to your CICS integration/service-oriented architecture workloads and other mainframe integration workloads.
Higher-Order Dynamic Workloads
HostBridge customers use our Process Automation Engine for a wide range of purposes – orchestrating transactions, composing services, consolidating application logic, and SOA-enabling business logic and data. Many, in effect, use HostBridge Process Automation to write dynamic applications that perform high-order business processes.
HostBridge Technology is licensed by IBM to run its mainframe integration software
and scripts/Web services on the zIIP specialty engine.